Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lesson 4 Prompt: Evaluation of Supporting Evidence

Write an evaluation of the supporting evidence you found for your revised claim. Do not forget to evaluate the credibility of the source itself. Look back at Lesson 2 if you need a reminder of what evaluating an essay (or other source) means. Be sure to explain enough about it for the reader who has not read your essay to make sense of it.

In my Lesson 4 essay my thesis statement was “Many individuals, including myself, are guilty of watching life pass them by”. I used a word map to generate ideas of things I could use as support and decided using a famous quote and a poem would be the best support I could use. When I set out to find quotes on the subject of waiting for life to happen, I stumbled upon Dr. Seuss’ short story “Oh! The Places You Will Go”. As I read through his story it had a very similar theme to my essay. For those who haven’t read the story it takes you through a person’s journey through life and one of the places the protagonist finds himself is in a place of waiting. This place of waiting described exactly the situation that I was trying to assert in my thesis. I then set out to find a poem that related to my topic and I found a poem called “A Life in Wait” written by Tim Davis. Through this poem Davis demonstrates his belief that many individuals are sitting back and merely floating through life when excellence, in whatever they desire, is only a step away. Davis is writing from personal experience, he was a high school dropout and had let many opportunities pass him by in his life. I was lucky to find two forms of literature that fit very well with my thesis. Both writings are subject to a reader’s interpretation however I found the connection between both and my thesis very strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment