Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lesson 3 Prompt: What is the goal of argument?

Many people see an argument as process by which they convince others that their opinion is the best opinion however that is not completely true. An argument a continual shift between truth seeking and persuasion (8). When arguing you are attempting to provide claims for your assertion while remaining open to the fact that there may be better truth’s than your own argument. I find that many times when I am reading on a subject I will change my own opinions as more information. That is because I am receptive of other argument and open to the fact that there may be a better truth than my original opinion. The goal of argument is find the best solution to a conflict through an open exchange of ideas and asserting your position through informed backup while remaining open to the ideas of others (12).

No comments:

Post a Comment